1. Check your email – Everybody knows that you can’t get moving without getting through your email. There are people waiting on you! It’s a sure thing that they’re refreshing their browser waiting for your response so they can move on with their day. So make sure to check your email and respond accordingly. That’s a good first step.
2. Update social media accounts – Now that your inbox is all clear, let the world know you’re alive and that you woke up today. It would be awful to have people worrying about whether you’re alive or not. Hell, it’s been 8 hours since your last tweet! In fact, before you complete step one, tweet, “gmorning” to everybody. Just so they know. For an added bonus, make breakfast, instagram it. Boom!
3. Eat! (Can’t write on an empty stomach) – By now it’s probably getting close to lunch time which is perfect. You can feast and get some energy before knocking out your latest and greatest post or writing assignment. Make sure to eat a hearty meal because if you’re thinking about food while you’re writing you know it won’t be your best work.
4. Sit at your desk and focus – It’s time to get to business. Your inbox is clear, stomach full and people know you’re alive. Sit down and open up a new post. Give it a title. Actually, don’t give it a title. You’re a blogger, type first, title later. Genius. Wait… new comment!? You should probably respond to this. Your readers want to connect with you, let them know you’re there. Now that you strayed from the post, might as well pick up your desk. It’s messy, can’t have that distract you too.
5. Break Time – Damn, it’s been a crazy day so far. Emails, updates, cleaning, comment responses… you need a break to gather yourself. Head to the fridge, grab a snack pack, sit down and kick on Netflix. Watch a show, maybe How I Met Your Mother. It’s a comedy and should make your laugh and put you in high spirits. Perfect. Possibly watch another episode, maybe it’s time for Barney to get slapped again.
6. Connect with readers – Hop back online just in time for a Twitter Chat. Networking is important. Network, NetWork, NETWORK! A great way to gain readers and network is by getting involved with Twitter Chats. There’s a few back to back today. Busy schedule. Hopefully this time, some new followers will check out your site instead of just clicking, ‘follow’. (Not often, but just maybe…)
7. Seriously, it’s game time! – Alright alright. Early evening is coming around and that epic blog post is on its way! Open up your post you started earlier. Begin by writing an epic engaging and mind-blowing first sentence (you do this with every post you witty bastard ;) ). Now, grab a glass of water, take a drink and evaluate. While you’re contemplating your opener, check your email again. Clear the inbox. It’s important!
8. Eat dinner, go out with friends – It’s okay, you’ve been a hermit all day, you need to socialize (in person). Friends and family are important, make sure to let them know. This will make you feel good too. Even if the post doesn’t materialize by the end of the day, it’s okay. It’s been a great day!
9. Grab a beer and sit down – Inbox is clear, tweeting, instagraming and facebooking has been happening. Your friends know you care and your body is feeling satisfied. It’s time to grab a beer (maybe 2, or 3). Perhaps that was the problem in the first place. You weren’t loose enough. You put so much pressure on yourself that you just need a light buzz to let the magic happen.
10. Satisfy the evening munchies – You’re at your desk, beer in hand, ready to write, but you need one more thing. Snacks. Everybody needs some thinking food right? Grab those Doritos, heat up those totinos pizza rolls, it’s about to go down! The food starts making you sleepy though, this is not conducive to great writing.
11. Prepare for tomorrow – Your day has been filled with non-stop activity. It’s understandable, it happens, you’re a blogger and you have shit to do! That’s all over though, today is done and tomorrow you can focus on what really matters… finishing up that epic post that you started earlier.
But remember, before you start writing tomorrow, make sure to wake up, check your email and update your social media accounts. You don’t want anything distracting your from your work ; )